There are a great NYC area beaches from Jones Beach, to Orchard Beach to Fire Island. Here are some of the best ones.
NYC Area Beaches
1. Jones Beach – 1 Ocean Parkway, Wantagh, NY 11793
2. Coney Island Beach – Surf Ave between Ocean Parkway and West 37th Street in Brooklyn
3. Orchard Beach – Park Drive at Orchard Beach Road in the Bronx
4. Rockaway Beach – Boardwalk between Beach – 9th and 149th Streets in Queens
5. Robert Moses State Park – Closed due to Hurricane Sandy – bummer – five miles of ocean beach BUT it may be open by Memorial Day–they are working on it, so call 631-669-0470 for updates.
6. Fire Island – Watch Hill or Sailor’s Haven (take Davis Park Ferry Service – in Patchogue they go to Watch Hill and Sayville Ferry Service goes to Sailor’s Haven) – May 13 for Sailors Haven (May 25 visitors center opens) Visitors center on Watch Hill opens May 25. Davis Ferry phone number is 631-475-1665, and the Sayville Ferry is 631-589-0810). You might also want to check out Smith Point County Park on the Fire Island barrier beach.
7. Sandy Hook, NJ – Open May 1 – $15 to park – 26 Hudson Road, Highland, NJ 07732 (hour from NYC)
8. Seaside Heights, NJ – $5 for beach pass, Kids 12 and under are free.
9. Long Beach, NY – Offers new $44 million boardwalk (as of end of April) to replace the boardwalk that was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. So, they are good to go.
10. Lido Beach, NY – Located between Long Beach and Point Lookout.